Saturday, September 11, 2010

My walk by the pond...

As I was walking by our pond this morning I noticed a small willow tree growing by the waters edge and as I looked closely I couldn't believe it...there were two Red-Spotted Purple butterfly caterpillars!

I ran back to the house to get the camera {you would think by now that I would ALWAYS carry my camera} and took a couple of pictures to share with you...


The caterpillars look kind of like a bird dropping {good camouflage} and love to nibble on tender willow leaves.

I frequently find the adult butterflies sipping sap from the trees or visiting my "rotting fruit" trays in the garden.


They usually drink with their wings open, showing off the beautiful iridescent blue color, however if you ever get a glimpse of the underside of their wings you will see the striking bright red/orange spots for which they were named!



Such a fun way to start the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've really been enjoying your blog and particularly the pictures! I am a digital artist and I make/sell fairy wings in Second Life, a virtual world. Would you perhaps give me your permission to make wings from some of these butterfly images? I'm particularly excited about that blue butterfly above. :)

    Of course I can give credit and a link back to your blog if you'd like, too!

    ReplyDelete