Thursday, January 28, 2010

Standing in the Garden Center...

When I woke up this morning {quite early, I might add, complements of Leo... our Black lab... thumping his tail like a one-dog rhythm band}. I thought of a helpful butterfly gardening hint that I wanted to share.

I usually end up at one of the mega garden centers to buy plants. And when I first started my garden, I would shop, armed with my list of recommended butterfly nectar plants. But because I didn't know what the flowers on my list actually looked like, I would find myself confused by the endless varieties, wondering what to buy. And let's face it, the employees are usually busy and sometimes it's hard to find a knowledgeable person to help.

I used to think that the brighter or prettier the flower, the more butterflies it would attract. But I found, that this just wasn't true.

Then one day, as I was trying to decide, I noticed that there were bees and a few butterflies, hovering around a particular group of plants and it occurred to me that this might be a great way to choose nectar flowers.

That's when I started just standing and watching...and the plants with the most bee & butterfly activity are the ones I would buy!

So, when you're choosing flowers, don't be afraid to just stand back and watch for a moment...and if you see a women standing in the middle of the garden center, watching too, come over and say hello, because it's probably me, deciding on the next nectar flower for my butterfly garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment