Monday, January 25, 2010

The sun is shining!

Yippee! The sun is shining today! We've had so much rain lately, that I think I was beginning to mold...

As I was driving to jazzercise this morning, I was thinking about what I would talk to you about today...Firstly, I just had to share how excited I am! This weekend Clyde & I had a brainstorm for a line of children's gardening seeds. It's totally cute and I know retailers will carry them (or at least I hope so!). As soon as I'm a little farther along, I'll share the packaging design with you. I can't wait!

Back to butterfly gardening....

If you are like me, you might feel a little overwhelmed at planting an entire butterfly garden all at once. I still can't remember the names of all the plants and what they look like, so I always think it's a good idea to start out simply.

If you buy one plant for your butterfly garden this year, let it be Purple Coneflowers (Echinacea Purpurea)! They are a terrific perennial (they come back each year) and butterflies just can't resist them.

Last summer I found a bunch on sale at Home Depot and went kind of crazy and bought 15 plants thinking that I would add them to the garden. Well, I got busy { and by busy, I mean lazy}, so rather than planting I just moved them, in their pots, to my back deck. I put them up on the railing and clustered them all together, so the butterflies could easily spot them.


Oh my gosh, I was amazed! I had so many butterflies on my deck, providing me with terrific photo opportunities! I got much better photo's than I would have, if the plants had been in the garden, mostly because I could take pictures right out of my kitchen window or set up my camera on the deck and just click away, if I had a few extra minutes... and the butterflies were always right there!

Then in the fall, when the potted coneflowers were starting do die back, I planted them in my garden, where I know they will reappear this year!

I will do this again this summer! I love having butterflies right on my back deck...and this gives me a good excuse to not have to immediately plant every new addition to the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment