Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Backyard Safari...

While I was searching for a wild Golden Alexander plant for my Black Swallowtail caterpillars in the yard today, I came across something that I just had to share with you ~

I saw what looked like a hummingbird, dangling upside down, from a vine, with it's throat slashed...it's little feet still clutching the vine...so, so sad :(

I couldn't imagine what had happened to it...until my husband noticed a GIANT 8 inch praying mantis right next to the bird...I did a little research and came across an article in Birdwatchers Digest about a praying mantis killing and eating a hummingbird {I didn't have the heart to take pictures of our hummingbird, but there are photos in the article...so if you're squeamish, don't look}


But here's the killer praying mantis from our yard...

I also spotted a baby Saddleback Caterpillar on one of our Tulip trees today too! I have read that their sting may be the most potent of North American caterpillars ~



So although I'm still on the hunt for caterpillar food, I feel like I've been on an afternoon safari in my own backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment