Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oh nooooo! I'm running out of fennel...


Good news and bad news... I checked on my one lonely little fennel plant that's standing in the garden and the good news is that it's loaded with Black Swallowtail baby caterpillars and eggs!

The bad news is that while I'm terribly excited to have so many Black Swallowtails, I don't think one little plant can feed 15-20 hungry caterpillars ~ And I'm afraid to buy a fennel, parsley or dill plant for fear that the nursery may have sprayed it with insecticide and it's too darn late to plant seeds and have them grow in time to be a meal for these little guys....what to do?

I guess I'm going to have to go in search of something that grows in the wild....I did some research today and found that Golden Alexander grows in our area {it's in the carrot family and Black Swallowtails like anything in the carrot family}. So armed with my wildflower field guide, off I go!

Keep your fingers crossed! {Gotta save the baby caterpillars!}

I'll keep you posted :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment